lunedì 10 marzo 2008


Here we are again!!! The new semester has just begun!!
Well, this week I watched some videos about the political campaign in the United States and in Italy; I focused on the PD and the challenge between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. The task for this first activity is very interesting because it has given me the chance to look for more information about the US election campaigns which actually I’ve been following day by day on the news. However, thanks to this activity I’ve done something which probably I would have never done, that is to say, listening to a great number of speeches of the two democratic candidates and, in this way, trying to understand the ideas of the democratic political side. What is interesting too is the comparison between the Italian political campaign and the American one…the passion and the clime that you can feel from American people, also here in Italy but I think everywhere because the American campaign has a worldwide resonance, an the absolute indifference of Italian people in front of a political situation that is the mirror of our country: simply confusion!
As for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama’s speeches, I’ve compared what they’ve said after the great day of the primary elections. As for Hillary’s speech, I’ve seen that she often uses very short and effective sentences, she’s able to focus the main point of what she’s saying very effectively;
She uses gestures, smiles, chosen phrases, a particular look and expression, or a tone of voiceand, moreover, she can joke with her feminine side, which is used as a connector with the audience. In her speeches she concentrates on health care, ending war in Iraq and winning war in Afghanistan, economy and hard work, which is her main solution to all the problems that need to be solved. During her speeches she always turns to the individuals, who she met or experienced working with, for example during the period she spent at White House.
On the other side, Barack Obama’s speeches are maybe less formal, but the sentences are longer and complicated than Hillary’s ones, and he’s got a different stress and I think that his style is very attractive, first of all for a young audience. That is because he is a real new prospective for America and I’ve noticed that he focuses on this aspect with effective sentences as: “I’m the new one”. However, from my point of view, the two candidates are very similar and the preference of American people is just according to the choice of one or another new reality.
As far as concerning Walter Veltroni, he has nothing in common with the emphasis and passion of the two American candidates. I don’t know if that is because I’m Italian and I understand better that he said only words without a real meaning and without looking for real solutions. However I’ve tried to be less critical and, what I can notice is that Veltroni tries to underline the importance of the development of the country from each point of view, always speaking with the smile. But the rhetoric and optimisms which he speaks with do not correspond to reality! Moreover, I don’t understand why Italian politicians want always to remember the mistakes of the previous government…why don’t we worry about the future?!
A very big difference between American and Italian elections is the environment and the clime around this moment, which should be the best representation of democracy. Unfortunately, we are not so patriotic as Americans.

Nessun commento: